“The sport of fishing through a hole cut in the ice” is popular pastime in Finland. In Finland you sit by the hole on a stool, not in a heated cabin. Some people take ice fishing seriously and go to competitions, others like me enjoy the meditation side of ice fishing. For me the most important elements of ice fishing are sunshine, good picnic supplies “eväät”, fresh air and spacious views on a lake or sea.
What you need to go ice fishing?
- Fishing equipment; fishing rod, ice auger, lures or jigs, some baits
- Warm clothing and boots; some use “pilkkihaalari” warm overalls that protects your back from wind
- Stool; preferably with back, sometimes combined to backpack
- Good picnic supplies; warm drink in a thermos can (I prefer blackcurrant juice or hot chocolate), sandwiches, chocolate, biscuits
- Good company
- Sled or “pulkka” to carry all stuff to ice
No photos of fish? No catch this time either. After all, it is not the catch but other things that matter in the “sport” of ice fishing.